[Rcpp-devel] Distribution of Rcpp codebase

Romain François romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Tue Apr 8 10:48:19 CEST 2014

Hello Martyn,

Thanks for joining the discussion;

Le 8 avr. 2014 à 10:36, Martyn Plummer <plummerM at iarc.fr> a écrit :

> And another 2 cents from me.
>
> A package is the basic unit of functionality in R. Whatever
> functionality you are providing, I think a package is the best way to
> deliver it. There is a well developed framework for versioning,
> dependency resolution, testing, and distribution.

I definitely agree with you, as far of distributing R code is concerned, an R package is ideal.

I no longer think that an R package is the right distribution vessel for a header only C++ library.

> If you choose some other mechanism, then I suspect that any developer
> problems you eliminate will just return as system administration
> problems.

I understand that. The way Rcpp11 is structured, the developer will have the choice between:
 - using the codebase from Rcpp11, whatever version that is, by just doing a LinkingTo: Rcpp11.
 - snapshot Rcpp11 into their package.

I will not enforce one or the other. People will have the choice of which problem they’d rather have.

With Rcpp, there is no such choice.

Romain