[Rcpp-devel] Distribution of Rcpp codebase

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:05:54 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Romain François <romain at r-enthusiasts.com>wrote:
[...]

> > Some R functions, e.g. useRcpp11(), could be written that, when run in
> > the package directory, clones a repository in inst/include/Rcpp, and
> > also updates pertinent licensing information (this package uses
> > Rcpp11, which is licensing under so-and-so...). Essentially they would
> > be nice wrappers to git. Maybe package these as part of an Rcpp11 CRAN
> > / GitHub release.
>
> I think git subtree is the right tool.

Personally, I would not make git compulsory for developers of clients, and
I would just add/modify R code in Rcpp11 to download/update the clones and
include them in the client. I think it is simpler than setting up git
subtree, etc.

> One should expect that packages depending on Rcpp11 will still want to
> > be submitted to CRAN, and one potential problem (I know we could say
> > 'not our problem', but we should be good citizens) is that, if R-Core
> > decides to make an R API change that causes these packages to fail R
> > CMD check, it will be more painful for them to accept maintenance
> > releases from all these packages.

They can just update to a newer embedded Rcpp11. You can keep two Rcpp11
branches alive if you want, so that users can upgrade to a bug-fix version
without breaking the Rcpp11 API in their package.

Gabor