[Rcpp-devel] RcppEigen not compiling under Solaris 10 INTEL

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Sep 30 23:44:42 CEST 2013

On 30 September 2013 at 16:20, Douglas Bates wrote:
| On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
| Actually the listed maintainer was writing a reply when your reply came through
| :-)

Hah!  :-)

Being very impressed with everybody's responsiveness here -- Martyn and you
both piped in within minutes. Thanks for that.

| I had been willing to bet that no one used RcppEigen on Solaris and its failing
| to build on Solaris was a non-issue, but Young Sui has proved me wrong.
|
| However, the problems Dirk described hold for me too.  I don't have access to
| a Solaris system, either x86 or sparse, and don't know of a way that I could
| access such a system.  Even if I could get access I doubt that I would be able
| to fix the parts complained about in the logs because they are in the Eigen
| code   If I recall correctly the Eigen authors said they were not going to try
| to support Solaris because - wait for it - they don't have access to a Solaris
| system.

Dang. You had mentioned that to me in the past and I promptly forgot. That is
another difficulty.

| Yes, I would be willing to pass RcppEigen onto another maintainer.
| However It happens that there will be a rather complicated shuffle involving
| the Matrix, RcppEigen and lme4 packages in the near future and probably I
| should be involved in that.

Yes, if you could, it would indeed be good.

| The situation is that a recent release (and a minor version number at that) of
| the CHOLMOD software, on which the sparse Cholesky factorization in Matrix and
| in RcppEigen is based, added a field to the cholmod_factor_struct.  If we use
| the new CHOLMOD version in Matrix, which we would like to do, then the
| installed versions of other packages will start to fail when the new Matrix is
| installed.  It is going to be messy because there is no way to force an
| upgrade of a downstream package when a new Matrix is installed.

On a much smaller scale we just requested 'parallel upgrades' of Rcpp and
RcppArmadillo this weekend, and that worked.   CRAN does well enough 'rolling
forward', so maybe you just have to informally tie Matrix, lme4 and RcppEigen
together.

(Apparently there is also very cool stuff in upcoming Eigen releases
featuring C++ based automatic differentiation  ... )