[Rcpp-devel] Fwd: CRAN packages with C++ compilation errors on OS X 10.9

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:41:07 CET 2013

Apple is rapidly moving away from gcc/g++ towards clang/clang++,
resulting in some tricky versioning issues. I tried to update to
Mavericks but had to backtrack due to technical problems (Paragon
NTFS filesystem support fails).

After reinstalling Mac OS X 10.8 and installing R for Mac OS I found
that "R CMD config CXX" returns "llvm-g++-4.2 -arch x86_64", but
llvm-g++-4.2 is not shipped with the latest version of
Xcode5/command line tools. This will obviously cause package
installs to fail. A work-around is to create a symbolic link to
/usr/bin/g++ (this will work until Apple no longer ships g++).

In general, what "R CMD config CXX" returns depends on the
value of CXX at the time R is built, and this may not be consistent
with your particular Mac OS environment (depends on OS version,
command line tools version, etc.)


On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Romain Francois
<romain at r-enthusiasts.com>wrote:

> Le 31/10/2013 15:59, baptiste auguie a écrit :
>> Dear Rcpp gurus,
>> Today a CRAN maintainer informed us of the failure of a few Rcpp-related
>> packages to build under the new version of the Mac operating system, OS
>> X 10.9 aka Mavericks.
>> I do have access to a Mac, but I'm reluctant (in fact, unable) to update
>> to Mavericks, therefore I'm in the dark when it comes to fixing /testing
>> for the errors reported in the log file. On a positive note, it appears
>> at first sight that most of the errors are relatively benign, and
>> similar-looking issues are reported for all the packages involved. That
>> gives me hope that once the underlying issue is well identified, most
>> packages can be fixed with minimal changes.
>> Here's the info we were given from CRAN,
>> "OS X 10.9 (aka Mavericks) has a new C++ compiler, clang++ with libcxx
>> headers/runtime.  Your package fails to compile with that compiler: see
>> the appropriate log at http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/**__bdr/Mavericks/<http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/__bdr/Mavericks/>
>> <http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/**pub/bdr/Mavericks/<http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/Mavericks/>>
>> ."
>> My two packages are cda and planar. The error seems to occur in the
>> Modules definition, e.g. from this line in my code
>> https://github.com/baptiste/**planar/blob/master/src/**
>> multilayer.cpp#L231<https://github.com/baptiste/planar/blob/master/src/multilayer.cpp#L231>
>> where "function" is judged ambiguous, as far as I understand. This
>> "function" is presumably something from
>> Rcpp/include/Rcpp/module/**Module_generated_function.h but I am not
>> familiar with that code.
>> Any ideas, hints?
>> Best regards,
>> baptiste
> I'll have a look. It is likely to be a bug in some part of Rcpp's code
> bloat.
> I will try to find a solution that does not involve releasing a new Rcpp
> as 0.10.6 was just released.
> Romain
> --
> Romain Francois
> Professional R Enthusiast
> +33(0) 6 28 91 30 30
> ______________________________**_________________
> Rcpp-devel mailing list
> Rcpp-devel at lists.r-forge.r-**project.org<Rcpp-devel at lists.r-forge.r-project.org>
> https://lists.r-forge.r-**project.org/cgi-bin/mailman/**
> listinfo/rcpp-devel<https://lists.r-forge.r-project.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rcpp-devel>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.r-forge.r-project.org/pipermail/rcpp-devel/attachments/20131031/8e15e5ad/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Rcpp-devel mailing list