[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp Makevars COPYING policy?

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Tue Oct 15 21:36:34 CEST 2013

Le 15/10/13 21:27, Jonathan Olmsted a écrit :
> Dirk and Romain (in the order listed in the file mentioned below),
>
> Intellectual property rights confuse the heck out of me so I wanted to
> ask explicitly before stepping on any toes. Rcpp is GPL-2. However, the
> Makevars in the ./src/ directory don't necessarily carry the same
> license header as your Cpp source. What are your intentions for
> derivative use of the Makevars files you guys use in Rcpp? Specifically,
> I would like to use your strategy in an R package to build a static lib
> for subsequent linking against by other R packages.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> -Jonathan

Personally I find these licence headers redundant with the declaration
in the DESCRIPTION file.

As far as I'm concerned, unless otherwise specified, whatever is in Rcpp
is GPL-2.

Now, are you sure you need linking?

One alternative I tend to use now is to define as much as possible (and
perhaps all) in headers, and use the R mechanism if I really need to
have a function in a .cpp file.
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Registering-native-routines

In Rcpp11, I've implemented this and I don't have the Makevars anymore.
This makes extending easier as all the client package needs is to use
LinkingTo to pull in headers from inst/include.

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast