[Rcpp-devel] Dispatch on sparse and dense matrices...

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Dec 8 22:58:58 CET 2013

Hi Søren,

On 8 December 2013 at 21:47, Søren Højsgaard wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| I want to do some computation on a matrix, irrespective of whether it is a numeric matrix, an integer matrix or a sparse matrix (a dgCMatrix which can be handled with RcppEigen). For simplicity, I want to compute the sum of the elements.
|
| To do so I use a template
|
| template <typename TT>
| SEXP do_compute( SEXP XX_ ){
|   const TT X(as<TT>(XX_));
|   return wrap(X.sum()); // some computation on X...
| };
|
| I then dispatch depending on input type with
|
| // [[Rcpp::export]]
| SEXP compute ( SEXP XX_ ){
|   int type = TYPEOF(XX_) ;
|   Rf_PrintValue(wrap(type));
|   switch( type ){
|   case 13 : return do_compute<MapMati>(XX_); // matrix - integer
|   case 14 : return do_compute<MapMatd>(XX_); // matrix - double
|   case 25 : return do_compute<MSpMat>(XX_); // dgCMatrix
|   }
|   return R_NilValue ;
| }
|
| and the numbers 13, 14, 25 are disclosed to by simply printing the type. I know that for integers and doubles I can do something "nicer":
|
| // [[Rcpp::export]]
| SEXP compute2 ( SEXP XX_ ){
|   int type = TYPEOF(XX_) ;
|   Rf_PrintValue(wrap(type));
|   switch( type ){
|   case INTSXP : return do_compute<MapMati>(XX_); // matrix - integer
|   case REALSXP : return do_compute<MapMatd>(XX_); // matrix - double
|   case 25 : return do_compute<MSpMat>(XX_); // dgCMatrix
|   }
|   return R_NilValue ;
| }
|
| Questions:
|
| Is there a similar keyword for sparse matrices??

I don't think so as sparse matrices do not have a first-class representation
in a SEXP. So no TYPEOF(...) that uniquely identifies them.

| If not, is the "code" 25 safe to use in an R-package??

No, it simply says 'S4'. You can get that for lots of things which are not
Sparse matrices. From Rinternals:

  #define S4SXP       25    /* S4, non-vector */

So you could replace '25' with 'S4SXP' but that does not protect you from
S4 types which are not sparse matrices.

| Are there more elegant ways of handling the dispatch ??

Not sure. The TYPEOF() idiom used to be the standard; I think a few nicer
C++ wrappers for is<> were added more recently.  Those will still dispatch on
base types, and sparse matrices are not base types.  So you may have to go
via S4SXP _and_ checking that the required slots exist.  Which you could then
encode is a isSpMat() helper ...

Dirk