[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp advocacy question -- build environment

Thell Fowler tbfowler4 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 18:58:09 CET 2012

Christian,

While this isn't a direct answer to your question I am wondering if you
have seen
http://support.rstudio.org/help/kb/faq/deploying-rstudio-server-for-classrooms.
 The students can just log on and go...

This would eliminate the need to either teach or expect the knowledge of
setting up the environment and would allow focus to be on what you want it
on.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Christian Gunning <xian at unm.edu> wrote:

> Advice for introducing students to Rcpp:
>
> I'm TAing for a statistical programming class next semester, and I'm
> talking to the instructor about including Rcpp examples -- sourceCpp()
> makes this very easy to sell!
>
> The question is build environment for folks with windows machines.
> Personally, I think it's a worthwhile experience installing linux in a
> VM and gaining the experience of working with a *nix machine (as I've
> said before here).  Boot-from-usb is a similar option I've seen
> successfully used for quick-and-easy Rinside build environment.
> Personally, I'm confident in troubleshooting any problems that might
> arise in these environments.
>
> I have little experience with Rtools and I stopped following windows
> years ago, so I'm a little worried about helping other folks with
> build issues here.  Is it worth the trouble to push for a *nix build
> environment, or is configuring R + Rcpp + Windows X now smooth enough
> that I should relax and not worry?
>
> thanks!
> Christian

Sincerely,