[Rcpp-devel] Configuring GSL headers for inline

Silkworth,David J. SILKWODJ at airproducts.com
Sat Jul 7 04:47:51 CEST 2012

>> | Unfortunately, I still don't know how to direct gcc to these header files while using inline.

> The Rcpp-FAQ vignette has a worked example on how to specify a plugin which
> should apply to this case, see question 3.6 (or possibly 3.7 if you need just
> a single setting).
>
> Dirk
>
> --
> Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com

My, my, you've got to be kidding.  This is well hidden from someone venturing into RcppGSL after having experienced considerable success with Rcpp and RcppArmadillo.

I can see now that these plugins are very important.

As I looked at question 3.7 of the Rcpp-FAQ vignette I observed that there is a getPlugin() function that I can call.  So, I ran these lines:
viewPlugin<-getPlugin("RcppGSL")
viewPlugin

Then I built the "gslDemo" plugin using the code in question 3.6

viewDemoPlugin<-getPlugin("gslDemo")
viewDemoPlugin

Reveals that there are a lot more things one can do with the Rcpp.plugin.maker than meets the eye in question 3.6

It seems that the plugin="RcppGSL" is likely perfectly aligned for a Linux installation.  But is not going to do the corresponding things that Makevars.win did inside the RcppGSLExample package.

I need explicit help building a plugin that will do the same things that Makevars.win did in the example package.  Perhaps we could call this plugin "RcppGSL.win" or something similar and make it available to everyone.