[Rcpp-devel] undefined symbol: clock_gettime in Rcpp 0.10.2

Yan Zhou zhouyan at me.com
Mon Dec 24 10:43:06 CET 2012

I think it at least confirms that this was indeed a problem related to building R.

I tried gcc -O0, same error happens, including the error when installing Rcpp.

Also I think you are right about the optimization thing. With -O2, the compiler see that p was never used and thus optimized the whole statement. Therefore when linking, there is no error at all (because clock_gettime was not referenced at all) and R happily conclude that clock_gettime was there with or without librt. To confirm this, try the following two program,

#include <time.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main ()
{
    char *p = (char *) clock_gettime;
    printf("%c", *p);
}

Without the printf (just like conftest.c), then either gcc or clang complains undefined symbol with -O0 and silent when -O2. With the printf, which make the pointer actually used, with either gcc or clang, and whatever optimization level, the program won't compile unless -lrt.

I think the whole test of clock_gettime in R's configure.ac is flawed. It test first if clock_gettime exists by compiling an executable, which won't success unless -lrt or -O2. And only when it succeeded, it checks if clock_gettime is in librt. If -O0, then it will always fail because no -lrt was used in the first test and the test in librt was not performed at all. I guess the second line was meant to b
if test "${ac_cv_have_decl_clock_gettime}" = "no"; then
However I am not familiar with autotools, again.
With -O2, then the test succeed as long as clock_gettime was declared in the header.

 I think you shall report a bug to relevant R list.

Whether it is wise to having Rcpp link explicitly to librt is for Dirk and others to decide, considering this should be linked by R if it exists (I guess it is used for system.time etc)

Best,

Yan Zhou