[Rcpp-devel] trans() changed in latest RcppArmadillo

Savitsky, Terrance savitsky at rand.org
Tue Jun 7 17:21:37 CEST 2011

Hello Dr. Sanderson,  I find no issues in RcppArmadillo 0.2.22.  In fact, I was unable to reproduce the error (under 0.2.21) I found via a simple example; in my case, a simple Bayesian regression routine with unknown variances.   I continue to experience a transient error that I believe derives from my end and is unrelated to Armadillo; in particular, the inversion of a matrix becomes numerically unstable, causing a crash of an MCMC routine.  The error event is rare and I have been unable to duplicate it in a systematic way by running 100's of monte carlo simulations.  When the error event does occur, however, successive runs will all error out unless I re-load the library which re-sets the random seed.  I built a multivariate Gaussian random number generator that uses arma structures in which I use randn() that is where the error manifests.

Terrance