[Rcpp-devel] Work-around for Stangle failure on Rcpp-modules.Rnw?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 28 17:00:18 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 28 June 2010 at 09:19, Douglas Bates wrote:
> | I have been unable to install Rcpp SVN revision 1758.  It fails to
> | build the package indices with error message
> |
> | ** building package indices ...
> | Error : running Stangle on vignette
> | '/home/bates/sloc/Rcpp/inst/doc/Rcpp-modules.Rnw' failed with message:
> | invalid value for 'lang' : cpp
> | ERROR: installing package indices failed
> |
> | Can anyone suggest a work-around?

> I have had no issues at all on Ubuntu 10.4 / amd64 with either g++-4.3 or
> g++-4.4 all morning.

> Exactly how are you invoking this?  The install step should not re-process
> the pdf files.

It is Stangle, not Sweave that is causing the problem and I am just running

R CMD INSTALL -c $RCPP_SRC

> And for what it is worth, I can also do
>
>    cd inst/doc && make Rcpp-sugar.pdf
>
> just fine.

As mentioned above, producing the PDF files is not the issue with the
INSTALL process but nonetheless I am glad to receive that information.
 I am able to build the PDF files for Rcpp-sugar but not for Rcpp-FAQ,
Rcpp-extending and Rcpp-package.  The logs from those attempts look
like this

$ make Rcpp-extending.pdf
rm Rcpp-extending.Rnw
cp -f Rcpp-extending/Rcpp-extending.Rnw .
Rscript -e "require(highlight); driver <- HighlightWeaveLatex(boxes =
TRUE, bg = 'white' ); Sweave( 'Rcpp-extending.Rnw', driver = driver );
"
Writing to file Rcpp-extending.tex
Processing code chunks ...
 1 : term verbatim
 3 : term verbatim
 4 : term tex
sh: highlight: not found

Error:  chunk 4
Error in file(con, "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(con, "r") :
  cannot open file '/tmp/Rtmp4wAPqs/file2eb141f2': No such file or directory
Execution halted
make: *** [Rcpp-extending.pdf] Error 1

Is there something in the highlight package that should install a
highlight script in $RHOME/bin?  If so I can reinstall the package as
root.