[Phylobase-devl] Rcpp and OS X compiliation

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jan 19 23:18:40 CET 2010

On 19 January 2010 at 15:57, Mark Holder wrote:
| 	Dirk and Romain are going to release Rcpp 0.7.3 soon. This version
| will cause phylobase to statically link to libRcpp. No changes to
| phylobase are required.

Well, actually "to statically link to libRcpp on OS X as well as windows" --
and that was not the default on OS X before. We have now made it the default.

| The short term solutions. Either:
| 	1. install Rcpp and phylobase from source, or
| 	2. augment your dynamic library loading path (for example add $HOME/
| Library/R/2.10/library/Rcpp/lib/i386 to the list of directories in the
| DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variable on Mac).

Right. Or stick libRcpp.so / libRcpp.dylib into /usr/local/lib and other
place searched by default. That way the loader finds it.  But that is good
only if you use libRcpp in many packages -- not a default situation (yet :-).

| Below I summarize the issues for those who are curious.

Nice summary esp for the OS X angle I am less familiar with.  In a nutshell,
we will now default to

 static linking in Windoze and OS X 		[that latter part is new]

 dynamic linking on Linux (which can be overriden) 	      [unchanged]

If someone finds breakage on Linux I will consider changing the default there
too but I still like dynamic linking and note that the rest if R uses it as
well.  But yes, the rpath issue is not loved by all.

My thanks to Mark and Simon for their patience.  Romain and I look forward to
seeing phylobase as a happy user of pre-built Rcpp libraries.

Cheers, Dirk