[Phylobase-devl] a graphics challenge ...

Steven Kembel steve.kembel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 19:49:22 CET 2009

Hi all,

this reply is late but maybe just in time since NESCent was just
accepted into the GSoC. Since it sounds like a parser for phylogenetic
XML is going into NCL it might be useful to prepare phylobase to
accept metadata gracefully, although this alone might not be a
summer's worth of work, perhaps the project could be to fully
integrate NCL into phylobase as well as modify the phylo4 object to
work with arbitrary metadata? Brian or others, is it possible to use
the tree-parsing parts of NCL to allow reading of newick strings into
phylobase directly? This would be useful. I also like the idea of
writing some of the performance-sensitive methods in C, I have
embarassingly not looked at the code in a while but i think some of
the C code that we were using from ape (i.e. for pruning) may not work
with the changes we made to tree structure? Tree rearrangement could
fall into this category as well.

Peter, all the ideas you suggested sound useful, did you have a
favorite from that list?

Steve