[Phylobase-devl] a graphics challenge ...

Schliep, Klaus K.P.Schliep at massey.ac.nz
Thu Mar 12 05:08:02 CET 2009

About the tree rearrangements! It is mainly just rearranging some of the elements in the edge matrix and than reordering the edge matrix for plotting etc. A recursive tree definition is more elegant for these kind of things, especially for NNI rearrangements.
A problem really is to save all these trees, as they can take a substantial amount of space. Also computations (parsimony/likelihood) often only evaluate the quartets or triplets that changes during the rearrangement and the rest of the tree is ignored (also RaxML evaluates only a subset of all possible SPR moves). It is maybe still useful to have for simulations or as a development tool, as you can try these things faster in R than C++, but maybe not for the mainstream user.
The multiphylo element in ape saves quite a bit of memory by storing the taxa labels only once. One could save even more space if only the additional (different) bipartitons or splits (possibly instead of nodes or edges) of each tree together with their information are stored. This would require some kind of a multiphylo4 object.

Cheers,
Klaus

PS: I have written some C code to reorder trees into "pruningwise" order and it works fine even if the tree was not in "cladewise" order (which caused the ape function to crash R), this should fix some of the ordering problems mentioned, but it is for the ape phylo class. The order the edges can however differ from the ape function in a plot. Some thing like tree <- phangorn:::reorderPruning(tree) should do the trick, if you want to try.