[Phylobase-devl] [R-sig-phylo] Phylobase 0.4 Forge (installing issues in my old G4 powerBook)

Mark Holder mtholder at ku.edu
Fri Mar 13 14:11:46 CET 2009

Hi,
	Take this with a grain of salt, because I've never done any
development in R, but...

	I should be possible to compile and install NCL into a location on
your system's LD_LIBRARY_PATH ( the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH on Mac), such
that phylobase picks up NCL from that location.  (note that
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH are environmental variables that
can be set in your environment if you install in "non-standard"
locations, if you install to /usr or /usr/local you usually do not
have to set any variables).

	You'd have to make sure that you install a version of NCL that has
all of the functions that phylobase uses, but that should not be hard
to do (I'd pull the NCL out of the phylobase distribution, if I were
trying this).

	If NCL itself (outside of phylobase) won't build on your PPC, then I
should be able to help you with that.

	Perhaps a more experienced R user can chime in on whether installing
to a system location is going to cause problem for an R package.

All the best,
Mark

Mark Holder

mtholder at ku.edu