[Phylobase-devl] I am on hopefully the right track in manipulating "trees" using R.

Peter Cowan pdc at berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 7 03:08:50 CEST 2008

Ben,

I think we could take that approach, but it *could* require changes to
the plotting commands, and a variety of other commands.

To meet it seems a bit overboard to update the tree structure when
mapping data onto a tree.  For example, if I want to generate a null
model of a character then I have to store a 1000 copies of a tree,
instead of some lists that correspond to a tree. Also, adding data to
a list is going to be far less expensive than rewriting the whole edge
matrix every time the state changes (does that example make sense?).

Are you thinking that we want to support singleton nodes anyway, and
then we can use them to store edge data?  That would potentially make
plotting them easier.

I don't recall if there was a consensus view before, which is probably
why nothing has happened.

Peter