[GenABEL-dev] new topic for Journal Club

Yurii Aulchenko yurii.aulchenko at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:22:05 CEST 2011

> Do you mean the topic "Methodology for prediction equations of phenotypic data"?
> Actually, it was my idea ;) I've asked Nicolas Guillemin if she would like to open a new topic for open discussion
> It looks like she liked that idea ;)

Yes.

> And you right, it's a good time to start  "the methodology forum"
> The only thing, now I'm not sure, if it should be a separate forum, or just the "broadening" of the On-line Journal Club (as we disscused beforehand - to collect all topics under the one name "Journal Club", and later on to separate them into different topics, if necessary).
> If your idea is to start  a NEW "The methodology forum" in parallel with the NEW  1.6-7 release, than it would be reasonable to specify the difference between Journal Club and the Methodology forum

No, I just wrongly called "journal club" a "methodology forum". I
think we should just go on with what we have now.

I still struggle a bit with the question what to do best for the
advertisement purposes. I would like to have some more discussion
there before wide advertisement, so it looks good and attracts new
participants. On the other side, how do we get enough topics and
sicussion without advertisement? Something line an in-between plan
would be

1) advertise on forum news, www.genabel.org and also through GenABEL
package news system (this targets people who already use GenABEL);
wait for a couple of weeks

2) advertise through my 'private' mailing list if we see sufficient interest

What do you think? In any case, could you please draft a short article
for www.genabel.org news (could be 1-2 paragraphs), forum
announcements (one paragraph) and something very short for
announcement through GenABEL version check mechanism (2-3 lines)?

best wishes,
Yurii