[GenABEL-dev] formulating rules and providing guidelines

L.C. Karssen l.karssen at erasmusmc.nl
Mon May 2 15:03:09 CEST 2011

Hi Yurii,

Good idea! As to where to post the 'final' versions (on you blog or on
genabel.org), I think they should be on genabel.org. Even if there is no
(or not much) discussion they are still at the heart of the GenABEL
project. Having them on your own blog might create confusion regarding
their status (Is this just Yurii's opinion/suggestion or does the
project really work along these lines?). In case you want to point out
that (because there wasn't much discussion) these are working rules and
not (yet) carved in stone, you can simple do that in a preamble. This
way it would be clear to all readers/possible contributors that these
are our guidelines until the community find it necessary to change
them.

Regards,

Lennart.

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 17:06 +0200, Yurii Aulchenko wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am going to come up with a series of posts on GenABEL-project's
> fundamentals, like What is it? What is the philosophy behind? What is
> the ideology? How is it governed? How one can join?
>
> I would love to have these formulated in open discussion, but someone
> needs to start. I also understand there is not a huge interest in that
> right now in the team - I think we all use some implicit rules, which
> boil down to open-source and common-sense, and we trust each other,
> which is enough. Still, we need the rules of the game explicitly
> formulated: the absence of clearly expressed rules hampers the growth
> of the developers' community, as new people are hesitant to join to
> the unknown.
>
> What I thought of was to work out principles and rules to an explicit
> form, and posting them to this list. If there is discussion and we
> arrive to consensus opinion, particular set of rules / guidance will
> be made available as part of the project documentation, to be hosted
> at our web-site.
>
> If there is no discussion, then we will keep these statements as
> working rules until the discussion is brought up again. These rules
> will be hosted at my professional blog, and a link will be made on
> "for developer" page of genabel.org. It will be made clear that these
> are current working rules, open for the community discussion.
>
> Please let me know what you think of the above proposal.
>
> Best wishes,
> Yurii

L.C. Karssen
Erasmus MC