[datatable-help] := and ':=" throwing errors

carlsutton suttoncarl at ymail.com
Sat Apr 2 05:38:11 CEST 2016

Thank you, I did not even think of wrapping in ( ) for the ':=" scenario.
Feeling a bit silly about that.

Just fooling around I did discover that dt[, "new.var" := fun(var), by =
something] does work.

For some reason I had been wrapping that (go figure), i.e.  dt[, .("new.var"
:= fun(var)), by = something] and that just gave error messages.   Two ways
to do it and I choose the wrong one both times.

Sincerely appreciate the help

Carl Sutton

-----
Carl Sutton