[datatable-help] Correcting for transience in mark-recapture data with R

TimvdStap timvanderstap89 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 01:05:31 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm working on estimating the population size of Risso's dolphins in the
Azores using mark-recapture data, whereby I take transient individuals into
account (i.e., I estimate a transience-corrected population size). For this,
I use an R script, as used in Madon et al (2013) (see link to paper at
bottom of this post). Though I feel I have managed to get the script
running, for some reason the transience-corrected population size for my
final year is far *higher* than the original population size. This is
obviously not supposed to happen, but I am unsure as to whether the
transience-corrected population size for my final year is wrong, or the
initial population size.

Attached I have a sample of my data as a .csv-file, and a word document with
the R script (as it's too long to post here). Of course I have made some
minor changes to the script to fit my data better. If anyone could have a
look at the script, and possibly tell me where I am going wrong or what I'm
missing, that would be great!!! I have been staring at the script for so
long and trying to figure this one out, that I feel I'd miss even the most
obvious of mistakes at the moment..

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Kind regards,

Tim