[Boostheaders-devel] Building RStan with BH

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Oct 23 13:41:20 CEST 2013

Hi Ben,

Very good news here.

On 20 October 2013 at 23:08, Ben Goodrich wrote:
| I spoke a bit too soon. I think yesterday it was falling back to the boost I
| have in /usr/include to find the missing pieces. Now that I have temporarily
| moved that off the path, I found a few other things RStan uses that are not
| present in the latest BH. But after creating the following symlinks to my
| system boost, I was able to install RStan and run test models.
|
| goodrich at CYBERPOWERPC:/opt/site-library/BH/include$ find . -type l -print
| ./boost/mpl/partition.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/aux_/sort_impl.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/aux_/partition_op.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/aux_/single_element_iter.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/set/set20.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed
| ./boost/mpl/set/aux_/include_preprocessed.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/set/set10.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/set.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/single_view.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/sort.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/inherit_linearly.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/stable_partition.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/limits/set.hpp
| ./boost/mpl/empty_sequence.hpp
| ./boost/fusion/view/filter_view.hpp
| ./boost/fusion/include/find_if.hpp
| ./boost/fusion/include/filter_view.hpp
| ./boost/detail/is_xxx.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/parameters.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/default.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/arg_list.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/overloads.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/template_keyword.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/parameter_requirements.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/tagged_argument.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/unwrap_cv_reference.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/set.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/void.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/is_maybe.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/tag.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/yesno.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/aux_/result_of0.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/config.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/binding.hpp
| ./boost/parameter/keyword.hpp
| ./boost/accumulators
|
| The accumulators module was the only thing that was completely missing in BH,
| but would probably be useful for more than just Stan. If I put the above into a

Boostheaders uses, essentially,

   bcp name_of_a_boost_lib  sourcedir targetdir

and we did not yet 'loop' over mpl, accumulators, ... which explains why they
are partial.

| C++ file and run bcp to find its required headers, most of the stuff is already
| in BH. I believe these are the exceptions:
|
| goodrich at CYBERPOWERPC:/tmp/BH/inst/include$ while read -r line; do [ ! -f
| "$line" ] && echo "$line"; done < /tmp/BH.log
|
| boost/detail/is_xxx.hpp
| boost/fusion/include/filter_view.hpp
| boost/fusion/include/find_if.hpp
| boost/fusion/view/filter_view.hpp
| boost/mpl/aux_/partition_op.hpp
| boost/mpl/aux_/single_element_iter.hpp
| boost/mpl/aux_/sort_impl.hpp
| boost/mpl/empty_sequence.hpp
| boost/mpl/inherit_linearly.hpp
| boost/mpl/limits/set.hpp
| boost/mpl/partition.hpp
| boost/mpl/set.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/include_preprocessed.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set10.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set10_c.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set20.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set20_c.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set30.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set30_c.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set40.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set40_c.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set50.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/aux_/preprocessed/plain/set50_c.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/set10.hpp
| boost/mpl/set/set20.hpp
| boost/mpl/single_view.hpp
| boost/mpl/sort.hpp
| boost/mpl/stable_partition.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/arg_list.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/default.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/is_maybe.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/overloads.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/parameter_requirements.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/result_of0.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/set.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/tag.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/tagged_argument.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/template_keyword.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/unwrap_cv_reference.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/void.hpp
| boost/parameter/aux_/yesno.hpp
| boost/parameter/binding.hpp
| boost/parameter/config.hpp
| boost/parameter/keyword.hpp
| boost/parameter/parameters.hpp
|
| Do you think those could be included in a future version of BH?

If I make fusion, mpl, parameter explicit for 1.51.0-4, I think you should be
good.

I can do that and R-Forge will have a traball for you, I can also make a
prelim tarball available (this eve).  Could you then test?