[Basta-users] Monthly capture history; 0 birth or death information

Fernando Colchero colchero at imada.sdu.dk
Sat Feb 24 08:58:33 CET 2018

Hi Ken,

   Sorry for the late reply. You can use months, just bearing in mind that the parameters correspond then to the distribution of ages at death in months, not in years. There is an argument that you can use for the recapture probability changes during the months you didn’t sample, which is “recaptTrans”. That argument takes a vector of times during which recapture probabilities have changed.

   About the lack of information on birth and death, in principle BaSTA can handle it, but of course, the less information, the higher the uncertainty in the estimation. We have tested the package on datasets without birth and death information and it works, but your setup is quite particular… Please let us know if you need more assistance. Also, I would recommend that you install the latest version of BaSTA. It is not in cran, but you can donwnload it from:

  https://github.com/fercol/BaSTA/blob/master/latestBuild/BaSTA_1.9.5.tar.gz <https://github.com/fercol/BaSTA/blob/master/latestBuild/BaSTA_1.9.5.tar.gz>

Best,

Fernando
_________________________________

Fernando Colchero
Associate Professor
Biodemography Unit

Tlf.              +45 65 50 23 24
Email          colchero at imada.sdu.dk <mailto:colchero at imada.sdu.dk>
Web            www.sdu.dk/staff/colchero <http://www.sdu.dk/staff/colchero>
Pers. web   www.colchero.com <http://www.sdu.dk/staff/colchero>
Adr.             Campusvej 55, 5230, Odense, Dk

University of Southern Denmark