[Basta-users] post-fledging survival - recapture probability etc.

Fernando Colchero colchero at imada.sdu.dk
Thu Sep 17 10:46:49 CEST 2015

Dear Dries,

   Thanks for sending this very detailed explanation. I’ll try to answer to each of your points below:

> (i) Recapture probability is around 10 %. We however did not check for presence/absence of the bird every day after fledging. Usually on the 5th/6th day (range 3-9). This thus underestimates recapture probability dramatically. We noted on the BaSTA website that future versions would include covariates on recapture and recovery probabilities. We could for example add "search effort" as covariate, stating the specific days when we actually looked for that individual. Is there a possibility of trying this out already ?

Fernando: Unfortunately we have not yet been able to implement this.

> (ii) Our confidence intervals on the mortality rates just after fledging are big. To that extent that it obscures the real shape of the mortality function when added to the graphs. See PlotFancyBaSTA with CI and regular plot without CI <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kk1wztsftfljbw5/AAC4OHKT-pNXepioaR4qf78oa?dl=0>. Because we only searched for the juveniles some days after fledging, the first resightings are only done on day 3 and later. Is it possible that the particular sampling strategy is on the origin of this big CI's ?

Fernando: By looking at your plots, particularly the PlotFancy, I suspect that not all your parameters had converged… Did you have a chance at checking the traces?.

> (iii) Based on the lowest DIC from running all basic models (no covariates), we selected the WEIBULL model with a Makeham shape. Adding the Makeham constant avoids creating immortal individuals when having a declining mortality shape (i.e. when 0 < b0 < 1)  by setting a "base mortality". How do we interpret this value when having other shapes (b0 <= 1) ? Why is this in these cases not (partially) embedded within the scale parameter (b1) ?

Fernando: Actually embedding the third parameter (c) into b1 does not solve the problem of starting mortality at 0, inherent to the Weibull model, while the intended effect of the Makeham constant is to shift up or down the mortality. If it’s embebed in b1, then you are only changing mortality proportionally.

> (iv) The serial autocorrelation of most coefficient estimates appears to be rather high (> 0.4). Would you recommend readjusting the thinning argument or other model settings ? Or does this not really effect our estimates and outcome ?

Fernando: Yes, I would recommend running the model for more iterations with a large thinning argument. If you run it in parallel then you can run more chains for less iterations but with higher thinning, that’ll be even better and it would save you quite a bit of time.

> NB : we noticed a discrepancy between the default values in the package versus the ones listed in the BaSTA vignette (niter = 11000, burnin = 1001 and thinning = 20 vs. niter = 50000, burnin = 5001 and thinning = 50). Which settings to you recommend as default values ?

Fernando: Thanks for spotting this! We’ll check the settings.

Best,

Fernando

Fernando Colchero
Assistant Professor
Max-Planck Odense Center on the Biodemography of Aging

Tlf.               +45 65 50 23 24
Email           colchero at imada.sdu.dk <mailto:colchero at imada.sdu.dk>
Web             www.sdu.dk/staff/colchero <http://www.sdu.dk/staff/colchero>
Pers. web   www.colchero.com <http://www.sdu.dk/staff/colchero>
Adr.              Campusvej 55, 5230, Odense, Dk

University of Southern Denmark