[Basta-users] Making Death Ages precise

Cliff Cunningham cliff at duke.edu
Wed Oct 30 19:37:21 CET 2013

Dear BaSTA,

	The lifetables I produce with BaSTA invariable show no deaths in the first age interval, but this is because the ages are rounded to 1:

StartAge	EndAge	nx	lx	dx	mx
0	1	1	2826	0	0
1	2	1	2826	2415	0.8545648
2	3	1	411	295	0.7177616
3	4	1	116	91	0.7844828
4	5	1	25	22	0.88
5	6	1	3	3	1

The documentation says that:
DeathAges	A vector of ages at death. These can be precise (e.g. 5.4 yrs) or rounded to the integer year (e.g. 5 yrs).

I don't know if this would change the model fit, but I suspect that precise DeathAges would eliminate the unrealistic "zero" for mx (or qx) during the first time interval.

	I can't find in the BaSTA manual the instruction to produce the DeathAges vector as precise real numbers.  Any help would be appreciated.

	All the best!

   	Cliff Cunningham

        Professor
	Biology Department