[Basta-users] Errors when attempting to run multiple chains

Graham, Jennifer jlg208 at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Mar 30 14:24:21 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a long-term mark-recapture dataset and the data checking function works great and I have been able to run single simulations. However when using the same data, and general model settings I get an error when I attempt to run multiple chains, I tried running with and without parallel= TRUE and I get a different error each time, see below for R Code used and errors.

Thanks for your help and a great R package.

Kind Regards

Jenni

newData<-DataCheck(DATA,studyStart=25,studyEnd=112,autofix=rep(1,7),silent=FALSE)

Output from DataCheck:

No problems were detected with the data.
*DataSummary*
- Number of individuals         =    1,460
- Number with known birth year  =    1,351
- Number with known death year  =       0
- Number with known birth
 AND death years                =       0
- Total number of detections
 in recapture matrix            =    7,697
- Earliest detection time       =      25
- Latest detection time         =     112
- Earliest recorded birth year  =       1
- Latest recorded birth year    =     109

out<-basta(DATA,studyStart=25,studyEnd=112) #  This single simulation works

out<-basta(DATA,studyStart=25,studyEnd=112,,nsim=4,parallel=TRUE,ncpus=4)#  I get the following error which occurs regardless  of the number of simulations I request or the ncpus value

Error in checkForRemoteErrors(val) :
  2 nodes produced errors; first error: missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed

#As I thought it could be due to the snowfall package I also ran parallel=FALSE and then get another error

Error in if (post == -Inf) { : missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed

Jennifer Graham
PhD Researcher
Centre for Ecology and Conservation
University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus