[Basta-users] simulation problem

Felix Zajitschek felix at cosmoid.de
Thu Feb 9 19:33:10 CET 2012

Dear Basta team,

I tried to use some of my own data, but couldn't get the simulation to
run. I don't have a reproducible example right now, but I guess the
error I get might stem from some basic error in how I set up my data for
basta. DataCheck gives me correct values, but there seems to be a
problem because one or more ages are estimated as being zero (see
below). All individuals have at least two captures (i.e. at least a
first capture and one recapture), some of these are on two consecutive
days. Could that be a problem?

Best regards,
Felix

 > check <- DataCheck(btf.use5, studyStart = 36014, studyEnd = 39636,
autofix = rep(1,7), silent = F)
No problems were detected with the data.

*DataSummary*
- Number of individuals         =     479
- Number with known birth year  =       0
- Number with known death year  =       0
- Number with known birth
  AND death years                =       0

- Total number of detections
  in recapture matrix            =    1,163

- Earliest detection time       =   36014
- Latest detection time         =   39636

  out <- basta(object = btf.use5, studyStart = 36014, studyEnd = 39636,
+ model = "GO", shape = "simple")
No problems were detected with the data.

Simulation started...

MCMC stopped at step 3
Pdf of ages at death equal to 0 for some individuals.
Reduce jumps to avoid pdf of ages at death equal to 0.

Dr Felix Zajitschek
Department of Animal Ecology
Evolutionary Biology Centre
Uppsala University