[Basta-users] Brilliant, but..when birthday?.: out$lifetable errors

Owen Jones jonesor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 12:32:31 CET 2011

Hi Cliff,

I don't understand why the next age of death would be 2. Perhaps I don't know enough about your data.

Anyway, it sounds like you might be better off fixing a minimum age to condition the model upon. e.g. add "minAge=1" as an argument to your model. The aim of this argument is to take account of the fact that you have no knowledge of the fate of very young individuals, and can only follow those that have reached a certain age.

In your case, the basta function will not produce a life table (since the individuals will be truncated), but the model (Gompertz) parameters will be estimated so you can see the trajectories. You could also use the MakeLifeTable function afterwards, as I described earlier, to produce a life table conditioned on individuals reaching that particular age.

Cheers,
Owen