[adegenet-forum] Negative BIC ok for find.clusters?

LAURA NICOLE WOODINGS 17869067 at students.latrobe.edu.au
Thu May 25 01:57:36 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I am using the find.clusters function in Adegenet to identify an appropriate number of k’s for my outlier SNPs. It is a small-ish dataset with only 8 outlier SNPs and 184 individuals.
The BIC versus cluster plot that I received is a bit strange. At k=1 BIC is slightly above 0, but for k=2 BIC falls below o and for all the other k’s BIC is getting progressively more negative, until it plateau’s off at k=15.
I was just wondering if a negative BIC is ok to decide how many clusters the data has? I have not had a negative BIC plot returned with other datasets before, however they have had many more loci in them.

Cheers,
Laura

PhD Candidate
Department of Ecology, Environment and Evolution| La Trobe University | Bundoora 3086 | Australia

m: +61 408 642 006 | e: 17869067 at students.latrobe.edu.au