[adegenet-forum] propShared at population level

Chris Brauer pygmyperch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 09:00:58 CET 2016

Hi Guys,

I am new to R but have been using adegenet without too many issues. I have a genind object with population strata and would like to be able to calculate the proportion of shared alleles among populations rather that individuals. There are a number of recent papers comparing Fst with population Dps in the context of historical vs. contemporary gene flow but these have all used use software designed for sats whereas I am using ~3500 SNPs. I understand that the propShared function requires a genind object but am unsure how to proceed. I think I can probably just use population averages for each pairwise comparison of my individual data, however I was hoping for a more elegant way to just calculate at the population level.

Any help appreciated

Chris Brauer
PhD Candidate
Molecular Ecology Lab.