[adegenet-forum] find.clusters without PCA

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 15:08:03 CET 2014

Dear all,

naive questions are welcome here of course. Both the question and the answer make sense here, though Fede's answer makes me think he is sometimes so rude he could be French ;)

Seriously though. The pre-PCA step has two purposes:
1) reduce the number of variables to its minimum
2) separate the noise from the structured signal

If you are not interested in #2, #1 still has a computational interest. find.cluster uses k-means, which works with squared Euclidean distances between individual profiles. Generally speaking, when you have 'N' individuals and 'P' alleles, the number of dimensions necessary to represent all the information (all the distances) is min(N-1, P). K-means works faster with less variables. So running it on 'N-1' principal components (PCs) is generally faster than on 'P' alleles. If all PCs are retained, there is no loss of information. So in short, you don't need to remove the PCA step, just to keep all PCs.

Makes sense?