[adegenet-forum] dataset too large? Follow-up

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jul 4 18:33:05 CEST 2011

Dear Thomas,

The algorithm for translating your data into individual frequencies is not linear. RAM saturation is likely to cause supplementary delays in any case, but windows is good at having applications freezing/crashing in such cases ("R has stopped working...send a report") . How much memory do you have on your computer? In any case I would recommend running overnight to make sure it just doesn't take ages, but works.

We are looking at a big dataset, but it is merely 2-3 times bigger than eHGDP, which was not such a pain to obtain.

As for multicore, the package is not available for windows, unfortunately.

Importing your data from STRUCTURE won't help, it will actually be longer and more RAM-demanding.

On the bright side, once you'll have your data imported, analysis should be slightly less time-consuming.