[adegenet-forum] Several questions

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jan 19 20:22:37 CET 2010

Dear Marina,

it is normal that the connection network is sometimes not plotted when plotting a spca object. As a matter of fact, connections are not displayed if there are more than 500 links: this avoid waiting for ages for the graphics to be drawn, especially since people may not be interested in displaying thousands of links of a connection network. As you say, it is moreover easy to plot the connection network in itself anyway. So, you are not mistaking, but it is not a bug.

Concerning your question about the Gtest/Ltest, I am glad you raised this issue. In fact, the entire dataset is tested for global/local structures when you perform these tests. It is not possible to use it to test the independent significance of different principal components. It tries to answer the question: "Are there any global/local structures in the data?", rather than "Is this principal component significantly spatially structured?".

Lastly, for the kind of distribution you described, I think you should consider aggregating genotypes from identical locations into 'populations' (using genind2genpop), and conduct the analysis at a spatial level. This is because even if you find a global structure, you won't know if it comes from similarity between individuals from the same population, or if it indicates spatial structures among populations. If you can't aggregate data by populations, then you may consider using transparency for the symbols, so that overlying symbols are not longer a big problem. You may want to use colorplot to do so: I've included transparency in the devel release of adegenet (use argument 'transp=TRUE', and alpha=[smthg between 0 and 1] to handle the level of transparency). You may also consider interpolation rather than plotting scores (see s.kde2d for an instance).

I hope this helps, do not hesitate if you have further questions.

Best,

Thibaut.