[Rspatial-devel] spTransform

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Apr 19 18:02:47 CEST 2013

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Edzer Pebesma wrote:

> On 04/19/2013 04:58 PM, Roger Bivand wrote:
>> OK, but I can't release rgdal yet - there is an AddressSanitizer issue
>> which means I have to install GCC 4.8 to check, clang wasn't able to.
>> I'll say when I'm ready - rgdal will have to depend on the new sp, so
>> that can go first, but should be checked to see what happens if old
>> rgdal is installed with it.
>>

> No, the dependency is reversed: rgdal has to go first, and then sp will
> have to SUGGEST: the new rgdal 0.8-7; I updated the respective
> DESCRIPTIONS. I went through checking all packages depending on modified sp.
>
> I would be surprised if cran would halt releasing rgdal, for the reason
> that you haven't managed to install a compiler that's only been out
> there for three weeks (r-devel)... sounds pretty insane.

No, ASAN is much more specific than valgrind, and Brian means this
seriously, like clang 3 weeks ago. Also if the method is defined in sp but
not in rgdal, how can rgdal be loaded against an older sp that doesn't
have the definition - it seems illogical.

Roger

>> Roger
>>
>> On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Edzer Pebesma wrote:
>>
>>> spTransform is currently defined, both as S4 and S3 methods, in rgdal. I
>>> try to export it in spacetime (for ST objects), but this doesn't work
>>> because rgdal is not imported (I'd like to avoid dependence on rgdal).
>>>
>>> My suggestion is to:
>>>
>>> add the definition of the S4 generic to sp, and have sp export it, but
>>> not provide methods for it.
>>>
>>> This works, but will lead to all kind of warnings when loading rgdal,
>>> caused by the S3 methods. So my second suggestion is:
>>>
>>> remove all S3 definitions & exports of spTransform from rgdal. After
>>> that, all three work happily together:

>>> rgdal: version: 0.8-6, (SVN revision 453M)
>>> Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
>>> Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.9.2, released 2012/10/08
>>> Path to GDAL shared files: /usr/share/gdal/1.9
>>> Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.8.0, 6 March 2012, [PJ_VERSION: 480]
>>> Path to PROJ.4 shared files: (autodetected)
>>> Function: spTransform (package sp)
>>> x="SpatialGridDataFrame", CRSobj="CRS"
>>> x="SpatialLines", CRSobj="CRS"
>>> x="SpatialLinesDataFrame", CRSobj="CRS"
>>> x="SpatialPixelsDataFrame", CRSobj="CRS"
>>> x="SpatialPoints", CRSobj="CRS"
>>> x="SpatialPointsDataFrame", CRSobj="CRS"
>>> x="SpatialPolygons", CRSobj="CRS"
>>> x="SpatialPolygonsDataFrame", CRSobj="CRS"

--
Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no