[Roxygen-devel] roxygen3

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Tue Aug 28 17:16:31 CEST 2012

> Could you *please* talk to some actual computer scientists and at least
> consider calling it roxygen version 3.0 or roxygen2 version 3.0 instead of
> releasing a new package name every time you feel the need to refactor the
> code?  It is commonly understood that major version numbers may break
> backwards compatibility... no need to needlessly break the package name too.

I don't think you understand the reality of the R package management
system. Most people will run update.packages() and get new versions of
all packages. If a package has API breaking changes then it will cause
considerable frustration, especially given how difficult it is to
install a previous version of a package.

Hadley

--
Assistant Professor
http://had.co.nz/