[Roxygen-devel] roxygen3

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Tue Aug 28 01:53:55 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I thought I should mention I've started working on roxygen3 at
https://github.com/hadley/roxygen3.  It's a ground up rewrite of
roxygen2, aiming to produce the same results as roxygen3, but without
a completely different backend.  Currently the roxygen2 code is hard
to extend - the idea of roclets was good, but I think they were too
big - you want to be able to work at the tag level so it's easier to
add new features.

The new roccers in roxygen3 look something like this:

parse_dev <- function(roc, ...) {
  if (is.null(roc$dev)) return()
  list(
    title = str_c("[DEV] ", roc$title),
    description = c("This function is useful only for developers",
      roc$description),
    dev = NULL)
}

add_roccer("dev", roc_parser(one = parse_dev))
base_prereqs[["dev"]] <- c("_intro", "title", "details")

That defines @dev which adds a note to the title and the description
that the function is more suitable for developers than end-users.

The interface is likely to change a lot, and I doubt the package
currently installs (although it does work with devtools::load_all),
but if you're interested please take a look. I'm hoping a stronger
foundation will make it easier to keep on top of the bugs and to
flexibly implement new features.

Hadley

--
Assistant Professor