[Roxygen-devel] roxygen2: tag @aliases for S4 method generates quoted aliases

Renaud Gaujoux renaud at cbio.uct.ac.za
Tue Aug 16 16:57:27 CEST 2011

I'll do my best to send you something complete enough to explore the S4
universe.
By the way is there a tag @slot for documenting classes slots?

For now here are my thoughts about some features that would be very useful:

- The tags that one should be to automatically generate are:
@aliases, @usage, and even the @param for the arguments from the
signature if no better description is provided by the user in the
embedded doc for a given method. In such case an sub-itemized list for
the argument could be created and filled with default doc for the non
documented argument types.
- however the user should be able to prevent an automated doc to be
generated by providing an empty tag (e.g an empty tag @usage might be
useful not to clutter the Rd file with similar usage directives)
- As I said in a previous post, the description tag (and other tags)
related to each method could be concatenated with some separator such as
"\newline\emph{methodName}: "
- a wiki-like syntax could be allowed that would automatically generate
the different links and other style directives.

In the end the user will be able to really focus only on the
"interesting" parts of the documentation, not the binding parts.

Thank you.
Renaud

On 16/08/2011 16:31, Hadley Wickham wrote:
>> By the way is there a reason why the aliases are not generated
>> automatically, since one knows exactly which doc to put in which file, as
>> well as the type and signatures of the documented object.
>> For example, when documenting a S4 generic, the aliases to the different
>> methods could be put together in the same Rd file, as it is already done for
>> the descriptions for the different methods.
> This would be the preferred solution, but none of the roxygen
> developers are particularly fluent in S4.  If you could provide a set
> of test cases, we could explore how to generate the correct aliases
> automatically.
>
> Hadley

###
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.

###