[Roxygen-devel] @slot tag

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at telenet.be
Tue Feb 10 22:13:22 CET 2009

>Quoth Tobias Verbeke on Sweetmorn, the 41st of Chaos:
>> Would time be ripe to implement this idea?
>
>Sounds like it; question is: do we divine the slots by inspecting the
>class, or allow the user to specify them manually?

I probably do not understand what you mean,
but doesn't the user always need to manually
describe the slots ? A plain list of slots
generated based on inspection can be useful
if nothing else is available, but without
precise description (and despite the fact
we all use self-explanatory names ;-) there
will be more room for ambiguity.

My (imaginary) habit would be to let the editor
generate the Roxygen template for me (as StatET
already does) based on setClass, and then manually
type in descriptions for each and every slot.

On the other hand, I would accept Roxygen to tell me
under the form of a warning that (based on what Roxygen
knows by inspection) not all slots have been documented
properly.

In summary:
- if no @slot's were written: auto-generate them by inspection;
- if some @slot's are written: warn that there is a lazy bone
    that has omitted to document some slots;
- if all @slot's have been spelled out: process them.

Does this make sense ?

Best,
Tobias