[Reddyproc-users] Flux Partitioning during polar summer with no night-time records

Thomas Wutzler twutz at bgc-jena.mpg.de
Tue Nov 19 13:32:04 CET 2019

Dear Christina,

You may find better or faster help with specific problems by posting to
reddyproc-users at lists.r-forge.r-project.org

The interesting case with your data is, that you have no night-time
records during polar summer.
We did not think of this special case during implementing the flux
partitioning.

Usually, we REddyProc developer can not take the time to go through user
scripts.
Nevertheless in procrastinating my own work I notice some things:
- The input file is missing units in the row after column headings.
- You fill NEE twice, that may cause problems in the internal setup of
the class, I suggest to only use the filling after uStar
- The seasons are only relevant for the uStar threshold estimation. And
the uStar threshold estimation has to be done before gap-filling.
However,  with sparse data I recommend to stick to user-defined uStar
threshold cases. You can work with different scenarios and output
columns by providing argument suffix to the gapfilling of NEE and to the
further partitioning.
- Without proper uStar threshold distribution, you have to call
EProc$sGLFluxPartition separately for your uStar scenarios instead of
EProc$sGLFluxPartitionUStarScens
- When you specify a fixed temperature sensitivity you have to provide a
numerical value of activation energy in Kelvin (?fLloydTaylor)

For me the following line assumes a temperature sensitivity of 150K
(arbitrary, you should come up with your estimate)
EProc$sGLFluxPartition(controlGLPart = partGLControl(fixedTempSens =
data.frame(E0 = 150)))
complains about non-finite RRefNight

REddyProc, currently, assumes also in daytime-based partitioning to
estimate a prior for the temperature-respiration relationship from
night-time data.
You already specify the temperature sensitivity to avoid this problem. I
need to think how to implement also specifying a prior for the basal
respiration.

I formulated an issue in the development tracking system, and you need
to wait till we find time to look at this special case and come up with
a solution.
https://github.com/bgctw/REddyProc/issues/36

Yours
Thomas