[Rcpp-devel] What is /usr/bin/r ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 11 14:53:37 CET 2014

On 10 March 2014 at 15:57, Mike Willis wrote:

| > Just because you see a shebang should not imply a depend.
| >
| > Can you share the exact error, please?
|

| When I try to install my rpm package I get
|
| Problem: This request will break your system!
|    nothing provides /usr/bin/r needed by R-cran-packages-3.0.3-0.x86_64
|
| When I build the package I see rpmbuild adding /usr/bin/r as a requirement:
|
| Requires: /bin/bash /usr/bin/r libc.so.6()(64bit) libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)
| [etc]
|
| This is expected given that /usr/bin/r appears in the shebang line of
| some files being packaged. Even though those files don't have execute
| bit set.

Right.  I think I get a warning (one can override) when building .deb
packages. [ But it is moot as we do have /usr/bin/r. And just recently I
removed a 'Depends: littler' from the Debian package for RcppArmadillo. In
any even, Debian/Ubuntu. ]

Worst case, you could just run sed over those files and kill the shebang
line.  Or you could quickly package littler -- 'configure; make; make
install' work just fine so setting up a spec file for rpm ought to be quick.

| > Then maybe you should let someone else do the scripting, or at least ask for
| > local help. Adam Johansen and Yan Zhou over in Statistics are friends and may
| > be able to help you.
|
| Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, I am not doing any scripting.
| What I'm doing is actually the result of a request by Adam Johansen.
| Rcpp isn't mentioned in Adam's request but gets installed as a
| dependency of a package Adam has requested be made available, lme4.

Right.

| > If this really was a hard constraint, CRAN would tell me in no uncertain
| > terms.  I believe you have a false positive, and should be able to tell rpm
| > to remain calm and carry on.
|
| OK. Evidently this is one of those cases where rpmbuild automatically
| adding what it considers to be dependencies is not helpful so I'll tell
| it not to do that.

Or satisfy the depend with a package providing /usr/bin/r. I personally find
it rather useful for scripting with R and use it many times a day, including
in cronjobs.  But then I co-wrote littler so I am not free of bias :)

Let me know how I can help you with this, but let's maybe move it off this
list as it is all a little tangential for Rcpp.