[Rcpp-devel] What is /usr/bin/r ?

Mike Willis mike.willis at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 16:57:53 CET 2014

> Just because you see a shebang should not imply a depend.
>
> Can you share the exact error, please?

When I try to install my rpm package I get

Problem: This request will break your system!
   nothing provides /usr/bin/r needed by R-cran-packages-3.0.3-0.x86_64

When I build the package I see rpmbuild adding /usr/bin/r as a requirement:

Requires: /bin/bash /usr/bin/r libc.so.6()(64bit) libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)
[etc]

This is expected given that /usr/bin/r appears in the shebang line of
some files being packaged. Even though those files don't have execute
bit set.

> Then maybe you should let someone else do the scripting, or at least ask for
> local help. Adam Johansen and Yan Zhou over in Statistics are friends and may
> be able to help you.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, I am not doing any scripting.
What I'm doing is actually the result of a request by Adam Johansen.
Rcpp isn't mentioned in Adam's request but gets installed as a
dependency of a package Adam has requested be made available, lme4.

> If this really was a hard constraint, CRAN would tell me in no uncertain
> terms.  I believe you have a false positive, and should be able to tell rpm
> to remain calm and carry on.

OK. Evidently this is one of those cases where rpmbuild automatically
adding what it considers to be dependencies is not helpful so I'll tell
it not to do that.

thanks,

mike