[Rcpp-devel] Distribution of Rcpp*11* codebase

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Apr 8 13:25:02 CEST 2014

(Subject line repaired)

On 8 April 2014 at 08:36, Martyn Plummer wrote:
| And another 2 cents from me.
|
| A package is the basic unit of functionality in R. Whatever
| functionality you are providing, I think a package is the best way to
| deliver it. There is a well developed framework for versioning,
| dependency resolution, testing, and distribution.
|
| If you choose some other mechanism, then I suspect that any developer
| problems you eliminate will just return as system administration
| problems.

100% agreed.

And I say that as someone who has been working with a system of dependencies
for close to 20 years -- by contributing to Debian's system.  Which works
well for Debian / Ubuntu, and it also works well for CRAN.

Moving away from it may simply lead to rediscovering issues that are mostly
solved and addressed.