[Rcpp-devel] Unit Test Question Was: pnorm/qnorm?

Tim Triche, Jr. tim.triche at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:48:19 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

>  | Also, are other people who use Rcpp falling into the habit of using
> | '=' instead of '<-' for assignment in R, so that moving code to C++
> | goes more smoothly?
>
> I am firmly in the 'Don't do '=' for assignment, ever' camp.

Because of the ease of putting a '=' where you meant to put '=='?  Or
something else?
Likewise, are there ever good reasons to use '<<-' or could that stand to
be retired too?

>  | Is there any real downside to this habit?  It came up at the BioC
> | conference developer day this year and was more or less immediately
> | dismissed.
>
> Just say no.
>
> Dirk

The above was indeed the conclusion of the discussion... I suppose a
search-and-replace is hardly the end of the world (when moving to C++).

Thanks again,

--t