[Rcpp-devel] Unit Test Question Was: pnorm/qnorm?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Sep 13 18:20:37 CEST 2012

On 13 September 2012 at 08:56, Tim Triche, Jr. wrote:
| conclusion: Romain Francois is an absolute beast of a programmer
|
| A stupid-ish question: how do ReferenceClasses map onto Rcpp objects?
| Have people done this?  Where can I look for examples?

I wish I had a better answer for this but here goes:

  - S3, S4, ReferenceClasses are all pure R constructs

  - Rcpp has some support for S4, S3 you can do on the fly (just set an
    attribute)

  - Rcpp modules creates you something that is a reference class

  - Besides Rcpp modules, we have beginnings of 'Rcpp classes' that allow you
    to extend C++ classes (brought in via Rcpp modules) on the R side; of
    course only the R side sees new members.

| Also, are other people who use Rcpp falling into the habit of using
| '=' instead of '<-' for assignment in R, so that moving code to C++
| goes more smoothly?

I am firmly in the 'Don't do '=' for assignment, ever' camp.

| Is there any real downside to this habit?  It came up at the BioC
| conference developer day this year and was more or less immediately
| dismissed.

Just say no.

Dirk

| Thanks all,
|
| --t
|

| On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
| >
| > On 13 September 2012 at 04:58, Christian Gunning wrote:

| > |