[Rcpp-devel] Help needed for clang++ testing on OS X and Linux

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Oct 6 20:14:57 CEST 2012

There is an embarassing story here in how I made myself a bit of a laughing
stock by supporting clang++ (around 2.*), updating for 3.0 (and breaking for
3.1), adjusting for 3.1 (and thereby breaking 3.0) ... all over the last few
releases.

Luckily Martin Morgan, who had reported that recent "you broke it on 3.0" to
me, offered some adult supervision andm, better still, an excellent fix.
Instead of guestimating by clang / llvm version, and then (poorly) inferring
what g++ (!!) version we may face to supply the header, we now check directly
for the header file in question -- much better.

That was added in a test release Rcpp 0.9.14.1, which you can find (along
with 0.9.14.2 which also has the Date/Datetime fixes from this morning) at

     http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rcpp/

As the saying goes, "it works for me" on Ubuntu with clang++ 3.0 as in Ubuntu 12.04.

But we need to hear from OS X users with different clang++ versions, and
possibly clang++ users on other Linux setups --- particularly with clang++
2.* and 3.1.

The test is easy: just do 'R CMD INSTALL Rcpp_0.9.14.2.tar.gz' and it will
either build and exceptions.cpp finds its headers, or not.  I would
appreciate tests and reports back here greatly ... and I don't really want to
mess with five more uploads.

Thanks!