[Rcpp-devel] A beginners guide to Rcpp

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:00:53 CET 2012

> I'm not sure I'd go quite this far in ragging on the C API.  For someone who
> wants to write plain-vanilla C code (without C++) working on vectors and
> matrices, it really seems acceptable to me.  If someone doesn't have at
> least some basic technical ability, they shouldn't be writing C or C++ code,
> anyway.

In my defence, I did also write a chapter on the C API:
https://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/c-interface, and I think
arcane is the right word to describe it! There's a lot of historical
baggage in the API, and most things are not named the same way as in R
(eg. real instead of numeric, VECSXP vs LISTSXP, namesgets to _set_
names, ...)

> I'll look this over, Hadley, once things settle down.  Thanks for your
> efforts on this!

You're welcome, and any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Hadley

--
RStudio / Rice University
http://had.co.nz/