[Rcpp-devel] Problems running RInside 0.2.5 on Windows with R 2.14.1 and Rtools 21[45]

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jan 11 00:28:53 CET 2012

Hi Adrian,

On 10 January 2012 at 18:06, Adrian Maries wrote:
| Hi Diomidis, Dirk and everyone else,
|
| Was this problem solved in the meantime? I have the same "Fatal error:
| unable to open the base package" problem. I'm using RInside 0.2.4,

0.2.4 is known buggy, and 0.2.5 fixes it. At least for casual use -- I never
noticed the error one gets in heavier use, or on 64 bit.  That fix is in the
code on SVN. So please try the SVN version which will become 0.2.6 "any day now".

| Rtools 2.13.0.1901, R 2.13.2 on 32-bit Windows 7. As far as I can tell,
| there is no configuration error. I've installed everything from scratch
| twice just to make sure I don't get that same error because of messing
| something up.
|
| R_HOME points to .."\R\R-2.13.2" which seems fine to me. I should also
| mention that I personally need to integrate R with QT, but I tried
| running both the QT example and the examples in the "standard" directory
| and I get the same "unable to open the base package" error. I really
| need to get this to work, so I would appreciate and
| ideas/suggestions/comments from anyone.

Can you switch OSs?  It is _really easy_ to mix Qt and R on Linux.  On
Windows, you _must_ rebuild Qt to use the same compiler as R uses.  Which I
have done in the past, but it is a pain.

Dirk

| Thank you,
| Adrian Maries
|

| On 1/2/2012 7:16 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > Hi Diomidis,

| > |
| > | I did a methodical investigation on the issue.  This is what I get from
| > | rinside_sample0 with various path configurations.
| > |
| > | No path: Missing libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
| > | Add $Rtools\mingGW\bin: Missing R.dll
| > | Add $R_HOME\bin: Missing R.dll
| > | Add $R_HOME\bin\i386: Crash
| > | Change i386 to X64: Application was unable to start correctly
| > |
| > | Include both $R_HOME\bin\i386 and $R_HOME\bin\X64 in the path: Crash
| > | Compile from source in $RSRC
| > | Add $RSRC\bin: Missing R.dll
| > | Append $RSRC\bin\i386: Crash
| > |
| > | Change to a directory where the binary package DLLs were copied: Crash
| > | Change to a directory where the compiled DLLs were copied: Crash
| >
| > Yikes.  Looks like we need to look more closely at the 64-bit case.  I will
| > have to get myself access to a 64 bit windows machine with Rtools.
| >
| > | Use $R_HOME\bin;$R_HOME\bin\i386 path and unset R_HOME: Fatal error:
| > | unable to open the base package
| >
| > That may be borderline / a configuration error as R needs R_HOME.
| >
| > Dirk

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx