[Rcpp-devel] rcpp as a compiler to create stand-alone applications

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Tue Feb 7 01:29:54 CET 2012

> Can we use rcpp to convert an R program into a C++ program and hence
> create a stand-alone executable - that does not need R to be installed?
> This question is with respect to deployment of R applications.

Sticking with the concept that R needs to be installed in order for
RInside to work: one could imagine how the exe could package in the bits
of the R project it needs, and unzip them to under /tmp/ when it starts
up, and remove them afterwards. Or even into a ramdisk.

But, if security of the delivery binary is the issue, how about taking
that one step further. Install R into a directory structure that was
created with encfs [1]. The user will need to input a password each time
they start the app to mount the unzipped encrypted directory. (That adds
an overhead to reading the files, but not to running them (?))

Darren

P.S. To be honest, I originally thought encfs kept everything in a
single file, which would have made distribution trivial. But it copies
the directory structure, meaning there is one encrypted disk file for
each real file.
I'm sure I've seen/used something where there was a complete file system
in a single file...

[1]: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FolderEncryption