[Rcpp-devel] c++ graphics device

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Mar 26 13:18:13 CET 2010

(resending, this time to list as well, sorry --Dirk)

On 26 March 2010 at 07:44, Romain Francois wrote:
| Hello,
|
| R's graphics device drivers are currently written using poor man's c++:
| you are supposed to create a pDevDesc struct (defined in
| R_ext/GraphicsDevice.h) and then fill it with function pointers, e.g
| (from the NULL device) :
|
|      /*
|       * Device functions
|       */
|      dev->close = NULL_Close;
|      dev->activate = NULL_Activate;
|      dev->deactivate = NULL_Deactivate;
|      dev->size = NULL_Size;
|
| I'd like (not now, but sometime) to encapsulate this into C++ so that
| writing a device would more naturally be done by deriving some class
| rather than the pseudo c++ done in C implementation.
|
| I believe this could help people implement other graphics devices using
| c++ idioms.

Are there such people?  ;-)

| Should this go into Rcpp (I think I prefer this option) or should it be
| some other package (RcppGD, or something).

Not sure.  If we add it, we add a burden of more unit tests etc for something
few users may use.  If we do not add it, we scatter packages further.  Can be
argued either way.

  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!