[Rcpp-devel] c++ graphics device

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Fri Mar 26 07:44:36 CET 2010

Hello,

R's graphics device drivers are currently written using poor man's c++:
you are supposed to create a pDevDesc struct (defined in
R_ext/GraphicsDevice.h) and then fill it with function pointers, e.g
(from the NULL device) :

     /*
      * Device functions
      */
     dev->close = NULL_Close;
     dev->activate = NULL_Activate;
     dev->deactivate = NULL_Deactivate;
     dev->size = NULL_Size;

I'd like (not now, but sometime) to encapsulate this into C++ so that
writing a device would more naturally be done by deriving some class
rather than the pseudo c++ done in C implementation.

I believe this could help people implement other graphics devices using
c++ idioms.

Should this go into Rcpp (I think I prefer this option) or should it be
some other package (RcppGD, or something).

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast