[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp 0.8.3 and those other operating systems

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Tue Jul 6 20:07:34 CEST 2010

Le 06/07/10 19:23, Dominick Samperi a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org
> <mailto:edd at debian.org>> wrote:
>
>     "Sugar" started really only good post-0.8.2. And with the Rmetrics
>     meeting
>     coming up, and a larger than usual set of changes, we released 0.8.3
>     right
>     before that meeting. At the time Rcpp passed on all systems we could
>     test on.
>     We do nto release when we know of failures. [ Hint: If only we
>     already had
>     "bin-builder" ... ].
>

> I think you mean win-builder

No, that is not what Dirk meant. We are already quite aware of win
builder and we send packages there very very often.

It only helps for windows, so "bin builder" would be something more
general.

> (http://win-builder.r-project.org/), and
> yes, using
> this service as part of integration testing before releasing to CRAN
> will reduce
> the number of problems for client packages that use Rcpp. 1000 unit
> tests will
> not help.
> Indeed, this should be required given that you do not use or test
> under Windows, yet there are many Windows users.

This is just plain wrong. We do test on windows. We obviously want it to
work on windows.

> It would also be helpful if you inform the authors of client packages before
> releasing duplicate functionality that will break the build for these
> packages (Rcpp 0.8.3 broke the build of cxxPack). This incompatibility
> was known, yet was released.
>
> Dominick

You cannot claim that we don't advise you of things, as we have done it
before.

As I said to you privately, releasing this version was higher on our
(mainly mine) priority list because I wanted to demonstrate the released
version. I though I had time to alert you but my time has been sinked by
the conference, and the wireless connection was not all that good.

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast